So how long can someone put up with a demonlished Bathroom?

On May 11, 2006 we began to demolish our upstairs bathroom. We had noticed a soft spot in the wall near the tub faucet.

So we decided it was time to investigate further. We knocked off some of the tiles, and discovered very bad things were happening behind there.

It was time to redo the bathroom. We decided to start on it ourselves. The demolition was quite hard work, and stretched out over several days.

We discovered that the board behind the tiles had to come out too. So we took that all off and dumped the rubbish in five gallon paint buckets we had left over from painting our house. We then hauled the paint buckets to the trash. After the board was all taken off, Nick sprayed the four-by-fours with a bleach solution. After spraying everything down a few times with the bleach solution, the black mold disappeared.

Don't worry, we had a shower in another bathroom, downstairs, so we weren't going out offending everyone. At least not in that way. 🙂

When we first moved into the house, there was a lot of wallpaper. The bathroom was not exception. The wallpaper had started to peel so we decided to take it off and paint.

Now that we had the bathroom somewhat demolished, we toyed with several ideas of how to improve it. We considered knocking down walls and enlarging it. An enlarged bathroom would have enough room for a whirlpool tub. A whirlpool tub would be very nice. Back and forth we tossed ideas. In fact we tossed ideas around for about a year. Then we both started to get really tired of walking down to the basement to take a shower every day. And if it came down to it, we couldn't sell the house with a bathroom in that condition. Selling the house, is an option we always keep at the back of minds, because we would both love to move somewhere with more land.

So Nick, upon looking at the plumbing that needed to be fixed, decided to call up a handyman that had done some work for his mom. We had the good fortune, (or bad fortune, however you want to look at it) to have a house that had all copper piping. Even the drain pipe to the city sewage system was copper. Nick didn't want to mess with the copper pipes for fear of burning the house down. Turns out, the handyman we hired, John, came it and cut them off and installed PVC.


One of the first things John did was install a new shower liner.

He did a great job, I especially like the paint job he did on wall with the sponging effect.

Filo kindly agreed to help show off the new look of the bathroom.

Bathroom redo

Sunday Nick and I updated our bathroom and it looks awesome. I can't take any pictures of it because I lost my camera battery charger and the battery is dead and the new charger hasn't arrived yet. Everyone will have to come see it for themselves. 🙂 I especially like our towel hooks.

This renewal of the fixing up the house got me thinking this morning. Seeing as it is fall break and yesterday I only saw two people come into the Comm dept. (two important people but only two none-the-less) I decided I was take the day off and paint "the wall". Which I did. that means only the trim is left, and ta-da, the upstairs has all been painted.

While part of the wall was drying I went off to apply some CLR action to the downstairs shower head. I thought it was going to be a simple procedure, but it turned out I was going to be involved in something more like a slapstick routine. The shower head wouldn't unscrew, so I decided to bring the bucket of CLR up to it rather than taking it off and soaking it that way. I went and got the six foot ladder and brought it down to the basement shower. I backed myself into the shower and started to open it. It wouldn't open all the way, so I flipped it around and tried again. That is when I realized that the shower was too small to open the ladder fully. So began the slapstick, I started doing things I could picture Mr. Bean doing. I finally came up with a solution of tying a plastic bag around the shower head and filling that.

Filo is back from the vet today. She is recovering from her spaying, rabies's shot, and microchip insertion. We're supposed to keep her from jumping and playing. Rest and relaxation is the decree. I haven't been encouraging it but she seems bent on exploring every nook and cranny since she came back. When we go to work tomorrow perhaps she's sleep all day. Or not, at the moment she is chasing her orange and green sponge ball....